Resolving URLs

In tinkering with the Top Articles thing I’ve been working on I realized that a number of blogs utilize things like Google’s feedproxy instead of using their own site’s URLs.

For example, on the feed for Unsettled Christianity, we find a url like this listed as the permalink:

(1) http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/TheChurchOfJesusChrist/~3/s7APppZ6eAQ/

Which, when you load it in your browser, resolves to:

(2) http://thechurchofjesuschrist.us/2011/07/bibloblog-top-50-rankings-live/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheChurchOfJesusChrist+%28The+Church+of+Jesus+Christ%29

But when a user loads the page, the hit counter registers it under:

(3) http://thechurchofjesuschrist.us/2011/07/bibloblog-top-50-rankings-live/

Since (1) isn’t (3), this has the unfortunate side effect where the software cannot link up registered hits with their appropriate pages, thereby excluding them from the Top Articles feed altogether. I’m going to see about figuring out a workaround that resolves all URL redirects before it stores the permalink in the database and you should see a bunch of blogs pop back into the list.

— The Reference Librarian

Advertisements

About Steve Caruso

Steve Caruso is the Translator at Aramaic Designs and The Aramaic New Testament.
This entry was posted in Biblioblog Library. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s